Huw Jones

I got to know the people of the nearby farms, we'd see each other over the hedges, have a chat and so on and people were friendly at that time.

I was born in Birkenhead but I came here to live in Morfa Nefyn. When the War began I was a clerk in a garage in Pwllheli, but I had decided to register as a conscientious objector because I felt the feeling of pacifism deep inside me. And I made that application and I appeared before a tribunal, and my application was accepted. I was registered as a conscientious objector, on condition that I worked on the land and I spent most of the time doing agricultural work on a farm.

I would begin work at half past seven in the morning and carry on until six o'clock at night, that was when we finished. It was quite hard work. The modern machines we have these days didn't exist then. Horses pulled the machines and so on, ploughing, working the land. And I used those, and before long became a bit of a master of the craft of working them. But there was a bit of hardship, especially having to go out in all kinds of weather. There was quite a bit of labouring as well.

I got to know the people of the nearby farms, we'd see each other over the hedges, have a chat and so on and people were friendly at that time. The height of this friendliness would be on threshing day when farmers went to help each other, like. Six, seven, eight farms joining together to go to a certain farm and returning the favour later, and of course there would be a big threshing day feast, you know, and there was a lot of fun and leg-pulling, and so on.

Then immediately at the end of the War, there came a time, soldiers coming home, pilots, sailors and so on being released, and the birthrate went up, you know, an increase the number of children. At that time there was a great number of children in the schools, big class sizes, a shortage of teachers, and colleges were set up quickly to train teachers.

Then I left college to apply for a job. I was appointed to a school in Birmingham. The classes were enormous there, you know. There was a lot of football being played amongst the boys. There was a football team at the school. As I was the youngest member of staff, I had the honour of looking after them.

At the end of the game, someone would be chosen to write about the game over the weekend and bring the report to school on Monday morning and go on stage during service to report on the game, and there would be around six hundred children there, listening. We had quite a successful time, and won very many of the games, and enjoyed it, to be able to say 'I scored', you know, to the whole audience. Then one day we lost, and I said 'Who's going to write the report today?' Nobody answered. And then, a voice came from the back somewhere, 'I'll do it Mr Jones'. Do you know what? He couldn't read very well. He stood on the stage and he read his report, telling how we lost, you know. And I still remember him.

Culturenetcymru Big Lottery Fund National Library of Wales Imperial War Museum Privacy Statement |  Accessibility |  Copyright

© Culturenet Cymru, The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3BU UK. Tel: (+44) 01970 632 500 | Fax: (+44) 01970 632 509